Sunday, February 17, 2008

flying RC planes

My cousin Rosemarie's husband, Joe, flies remote or radio control planes as a hobby in Edmonton so I took him and Rose to watch the Dumaguete Aeromodeler's Club flying session today at an airfield just ten minutes from our house. It was my first time to watch such an event and I could see that the hobbyists really enjoyed their sport. I also noticed that there were several models being flown and that sometimes they would fly the same type of planes at the same time or one after the other. Dr. Marc told me the names of some of the models but I can't recall any of them at the moment! A notable feature is that some planes flew on fuel (these are the noisier planes) while some planes flew powered by electricity (quieter planes) from a special type of battery.


L-R: Ann, Marc, Rose and Joe


This model has a hatch in its belly from where a parachute can be deployed while the plane is flying high in the air.


Ulysses and his baby


Marc doing a last minute flight check while wife Ann looks on.


Ann at the controls, Marc positions the plane, ready for take off!


And here's Marc's plane (one of his many planes!) after a good fly and a smooth landing.

.

No comments: