Monday, March 17, 2008

I.M.

a. Internal Medicine?
b. Internet and Medicine?
c. Instant Messaging?
d. all of the above

the internet and medicine
two edges of a sword
vast knowledge at one's fingertips
a broadband can afford

with just a simple click
find the reason why you're sick
that brightly colored hypertext
can tell you what will happen next

symptomatology
treatment modality
differentials
diagnostics
prognostication
drug interaction

even our textbooks
might soon be obsolete
for Medline and Ovid
with old and new journals
truely they are replete.

and now the modern patient
knows how to google and yahoo
before he goes for clinic check-up
he's been with webMD an hour or two

is it good? is it bad?
i say we ought to be glad
the patient now knows that he has
two bladders, two kidneys
and one pancreas
makes it easier to explain
the pathophysio of his pain

just please don't forget
or you'll be full of regret
"a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
frequent self-medication
might herald a complication
and much more sorrow indeed it can bring

so here now is my prescription
to both patient and physician:
take caution sublime
do tether your time
the internet indeed is educative
but web surfing can be mighty addictive.



.

8 comments:

Bonedoc said...

Doc Ness, this is what I call "humanizing" medicine through the internet- poetry!

Congrats doc!

KimBo said...

True to the sense...hehehe

Like the rhyme...the old standard of writing poems...I don't do much of this...'coz I don't usually move within the confines of standard..hehehe...my piece of mind....love 'ya te!

dr tes said...

unsaon pag butang sa TBR logo sa akong blog?

Anonymous said...

very nice Doc Ness - witty, concise yet full of substance. I like the reminder at the end.

I'll be linking you up on my blog and also posting a link to this post for my non-MD readers.

MerryCherry said...

Galing :)

ness said...

Thanks, bone md.
Missed your entry to the 2nd edition as you were up in the bukid man. Looking forward to seeing you sa next edition then.

Dear Kimbo.
Yeah, the rhyme, hehe. Our beloved lit teacher told us old style daw ng poem na mag rhyme-rhyme. But as I’m a bit old and old fashioned pa gyud, bagay ra ni nako.Pero mura man pud ug rap, sa? ;p

Hi Dr. Tes,
Your question made me laugh out loud kay you made me feel like marunong jud ko sa mga ins and outs of web page making. Ahehehehe. Dili baya ko tech savvy, naning ra.

Basta ang ako gihimo, first ako gi save ang TBR picture logo sa akong computer, sa my documents, sa my pictures. Right click on the logo, then click “save as” to wherever file you want to save it in. Puede sa desktop so the next steps will be easier.

Then go to your weblog, make a post and browse and upload the saved TBR logo. I can see you have a lot of pics and widgets in your weblog already so this should be a breeze.

If you want to add A (picture logo) or B (the smaller neon green logo) to your sidebar, same process. First save the small logo in your computer then go to your weblog layout page, then “add a page element” and “add a picture” and the picture you will add is the small logo. Sayon ra sa?

Hello MegaMom,
Thank you for the visit and the link. I like being a doctor but my dream job is one that will take me to all those beautiful places that you pictured in your weblog! :-)

ness said...

Hi Doc Cherry,
Thanks for visiting! Do you have a topic for the third edition of The Blog Rounds na?

dr_clairebear said...

hi! i just wanted to invite you to be a part of this week's The Blog Rounds which I will be hosting on my site, Chronicles from the Middle of Nowhere. The theme for the week is "At a Crossroads."

you can read more about the submission guidelines in this post.