Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a tree by any other name

The other day, as I was walking from the medical school to the main hospital building, I noticed that what I had always thought was a big mango treee in the middle of the Rotonda had lots of orange flowers clustered along the tree's trunk and branches. It was quite an amazing site and I had to stop and take cellphone pictures. A mango tree with orange flowers on its trunk??

There was a lady who was likewise fascinated by the lush bloom of brightly colored flowers and she was asking the gardener if she could ask for some shoots or cuttings of the tree so she could plant some at home. I asked her if she knew the name of the tree and she readily mentioned a rather difficult to pronounce name (not mango!) which I thought I could easily remember. Apparently it slid down my slippery memory lane because when I got to the hospital lobby I could not recall the name of the tree. (Hello, alzheimers, ikaw ba yan? )

I asked around and the only info they could give me was that it was brought and planted by a Silliman visitor from Egypt or some other exotic place and it was called the "Queen of flowering trees." Well, I would say it's a rather apt name. The orange (maybe tangerine, or vermillion or deep peach would sound more regal?) flowers were majestic looking indeed. I tried to surf the internet using the words "queen of flowering trees" but the pictures that came out were not the same as the flowers I saw on that rotonda tree.

I am still looking for that woman so I can ask her the name of the tree. She doesn't know me but I know her, Dumaguete being a small place where everybody knows almost everybody else.

In the meantime, here are the photos I took. The pictures definitely do not do justice to the awesome tree and its blossoms but give me an A for Aeffort, ok.


This is the Tree at the Rotonda. To the left is the Medical Arts Building under construction and to the right is the Angelo King Building which houses the Medical Technology Department, the Physical Therapy Program and not visible in the picture is the AK Building Extension which is the medical school.

Here's a closer look. Notice the clusters of orange flowers all over the tree. (By the way, notice also the blue sky, the green foliage, the sunshine and the shade. Hmm. Lovely day.)

[to be continued later today]

.

[it is later already]

Look at these pictures below and perhaps you will understand why I was utterly surprised. It's the first time I noticed the flowers and it's been quite a while that I've been walking this route almost daily.









Arrgghh. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. Sometimes my cellphone takes passably clear photos but this time it did not. So anyway, I hope the pics did not give you a headache and you have enough patience to check out a site with guaranteed super macro shots by another Dumaguete doctor, the Scalpel Master, over at Flickr. And while you're over there do check out his photographic equipment. Just be sure to bring a napkin in case of sialorrhea. ::wink wink!::

.

No comments: