Sunday, March 29, 2009

in Jose Rizal's own words



I was going to write about our trip to the Rizal Shrine in Dapitan but while doing some research on why Rizal was exiled to Dapitan, I found this on the Jose Rizal University website instead.

Here, Jose Rizal describes his life during his exile in Dapitan.

____________________


Peaceful Life in Dapitan

During the early part of his exile in Dapitan, Rizal lived at the
commandant’s residence. With his prize from the Manila Lottery and
his earnings as a farmer and a merchant, he bought a piece of land
near the shore of Talisay near Dapitan. On this land, he built three
houses- all made of bamboo, wood, and nipa. The first house which
was square in shape was his home. The second house was the living
quarters of his pupils. And the third house was the barn where he
kept his chickens. The second house had eight sides, while the third
had six sides.

In a latter to his friend, Ferdinand Blumentritt, on December 19,
1893, Rizal described his peaceful life in Dapitan.

"I shall tell you how we lived here. I have three houses-one square,
another hexagonal, and the third octagonal. All these houses are
made of bamboo, wood, and nipa. I live in the square house, together
with my mother, my sister, Trinidad, and my nephew. In the octagonal
house live some young boys who are my pupils. The hexagonal house
is my barn where I keep my chickens."

"From my house, I hear the murmur of a clear brook which comes from
the high rocks. I see the seashore where I keep two boats, which are
called barotos here."

"I have many fruit trees, such as mangoes, lanzones, guayabanos, baluno,
nangka, etc. I have rabbits, dogs, cats, and other animals."

"I rise early in the morning-at five-visit my plants, feed the chickens,
awaken my people, and prepare our breakfast. At half-past seven, we eat
our breakfast, which consists of tea, bread, cheese, sweets, and other things."

"After breakfast, I treat the poor patients who come to my house. Then
I dress and go to Dapitan in my baroto. I am busy the whole morning,
attending to my patients in town."

"At noon, I return home to Talisay for lunch. Then, from 2:00 to
4:00 p.m., I am busy as a teacher. I teach the young boys."

"I spend the rest of the afternoon in farming. My pupils help me in
watering the plants, pruning the fruits, and planting many kinds of
trees. We stop at 6:00 p.m. for the Angelus."

"I spend the night reading and writing."





5 comments:

Ligaya said...

Hi doc! Starring baya ka sa akong call for articles sa TBR hehehe... hope you can find time to contribute something....murag busy ra ba ka laag-laag hehehe...

Nessa said...

you went to Dipolog pala tita ? well , i'm glad you had fun on the place where I was born . :)

ness said...

Mao ba?! As in, I did not know!! Wow, you were born there diay!! I am smiling a big smile here. Dipolog girl ka man diay. Is your Mom from Dipolog? By the way, when is your birthday, gani to? I'm old, forgive me. ;-p

ness said...

Dear Gaya,

I regret to inform you that I cannot comply with your call for submission of articles. I do not plan to submit AN article because your topic is too broad and each subtopic requires an entire post altogether. In view of this fact, I have a mind to submit SEVERAL entries instead. :-)

Nessa said...

hehe . nope .. my mom is from ozamis . January 27 aq birthday , tita . it's ok , it's not your fault you have a lot of nieces and nephews' birthdates to remember . ;P